Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dividing souls

On the outskirts of a small town, there was a big, old pecan tree just inside the fence of the cemetery. One day, two boys filled a bucket with pecans and then sat down by the tree - out of sight - and began dividing up the nuts.

"One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me,"one boy said.

Several dropped and rolled down toward the fence. Then another boy came down the road, riding his bicycle. As he passed, he thought he heard voices inside the cemetery. He slowed down to investigate. Sure enough he heard:

"One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me."

He knew what it was!
"Oh my," he shuddered, "it's Satan and the Lord dividing up the souls at the cemetery."
He jumped back on his bike and rode off.

Around a bend in the road, he met an old man walking with a cane.
"Come quick," said the boy. "You won't believe what I just heard! Satan and the Lord are at the cemetery dividing up the souls."
The old man said, "Beat it kid... can't you see that it's hard for me to walk."
The boy insisted though so the old man hobbled to the cemetery.

As they stood by the fence they heard..."One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me..."
The old man whispered: "Boy..you're telling' the truth. Let's see if we can see the Lord himself."

Shaking with fear and excitement they peered through the fence, but were still unable to see anything. The old man and the boy gripped the wrought iron bars of the fence tighter and tighter as they tried to get a glimpse of the Lord.

At last they heard."One for you, one for me."
Then there was one last:
"One for you, one for me. That's all. Now let's go get those nuts over by the fence, and we'll be done."
They say that the old man made it back to town a full 5 minutes ahead of the boy on the bike!

No comments: